Thursday, September 15, 2011

Computer Graphics & Graphic Design Crosstraining

When I think of the Graphic Design industry, I usually think of the 2D graphics that I studied in College. Primarly 2D paint or illustration style imagery that would often grace the covers of my favorite magazines through the 90's. These were the graphics where the word "depth" meant something different than it does today in conjunction with 3D CG (Computer Graphics).


For myself, a Graphic Tee and Apparel company owner, I look at things perhaps a bit differently than most Graphic Designers. I've spent the better half of my career working in 3D Computer Graphics and as a Matte Painter (Environment Artist) for companies like Industrial Light & Magic, IMD (a Disney Company) & Matte World Digital.


For films like Star Wars, Captain America, Iron Man, Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Trek, I would often use 3D software and a great deal of digital paint to create what you eventually saw on the screen. In this Palace painting (above), a 3D tree model could be used to generate forests and later be lit by CG lights to help me get a complex looking environment.

My tasks as a Concept Designer (I currently work for Doug Chiang Studios) would also call for similar skills, although the outcome is usually a painting that is more "loose" in style to get the general design idea across quickly. This Craterton Village shot below is example of using 3D trees in yet another way.

Nowadays however, working with Ziggling Graphic Tees, I occasionally try to bring my 3D skills into play and explore faster or better ways for me to reach my goals. Today with easy to use 3D software and fast CPUs we can expand our tool set for many types of projects. It doesn't have to be a big Hollywood visual effects movie to warrant exploring software like 3ds Max or Maya.


Recently I had a concept for a t-shirt (now one of our Best Sellers) in which I utilized 3D software. In the end product, the graphic is well... very graphic. It's very 2D and simple. A giant Robot standing amongst the trees with his finger outstretched waiting for a little bird to perch.


My customers say they love the tee for many reasons. None of them guess that I created the trees in 3D to be utilized in my print, but that doesn't matter, as always, the media is there to support our concepts. For me the 3D trees were simply a way of getting a sharp, complex and editable tree-like form quickly so I could balance the composition and get moving towards production.

-Chris Stoski


More Ziggling stuff at:
www.ziggling.com


No comments:

Post a Comment